News Seals-Shop GmbH
Apr 9 2019
Forklift Mast Cylinders
As a result, these trucks are often in constant use, meaning that the vehicle and its many sub-systems require regular maintenance and repair, which can have a large impact on productivity. While this can be done in house by the forklift owner, the replacement parts need not be ready to use immediately, and it may not always be possible to keep parts in stock. Seals-Shop.com offers many proven products for such sealing solutions, ready for immediate shipping, to help make maintenance and repair easier and faster. Keeping downtime to a minimum.
In the following example, we will focus on the maintenance of a forklift mast cylinder assumed to be operating in temperatures ranging from -10°C to 95°C.
Maintenance of a Forklift Mast Cylinder
The lift or mast cylinder is an essential part of the forklift, controlling the vertical assembly on the front that allows the truck to fulfil its main function: raising and lowering the load in question. As such, these cylinders are subjected the largest volume of fluid flow.
When this hydraulic cylinder needs to be repaired, it is recommended that a polyurethane u-cup is used as a primary seal, together with a high-strength nylon wear ring as a guiding element, together with a polyurethane wiper seal to achieve an optimum cost-performance ratio. A combination of the RU9 U-Cup, Himod® Slydring®, and Zurcon® Scraper DA22 make for an ideal configuration.
All these hydraulic seals and many more are available in Trelleborg’s Seals-Shop in a range of sizes and can be shipped in a couple of days within Europe. For more information, visit Seals-Shop.com.
Please note, recommendations on application and system design are provided as suggestions only. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure safe and adequate performance in their own application. Seals-Shop or its supply partners cannot accept liability for the form, fit, or function sold through the Seals-Shop or consequential damages thereafter.
Mar 5 2019
Avoid Seal Damage
Hydraulic seals include piston seals, rod seals, wear rings, scrapers, o-rings, quad-rings, static seals and rotary seals.
- The purpose of the piston seal is to seal in fluid, halting its flow to the piston. This results in the build-up of pressure on one of the piston’s sides.
- Rod seals are the external seals that halt cylinder leakage.
- Wear rings serve to guide both the piston rod and the piston in the cylinder, thereby eliminating metal-on-metal contact.
- The purpose of the scraper is to prohibit cylinder damage by denying access to dangerous contaminants.
- Considered one of the most widely used seals, O-rings are appropriate for both dynamic and static applications, sealing all media.
- Quad-rings are often considered a variation on the traditional O-ring. With its X-shaped cross section, this seal is ideal for both static and dynamic applications.
- Static seals are ideal for sealing applications that do not require movement between sealing surfaces.
- Rotary seals, on the other hand, are used in applications where components are rotating or oscillating.
A breakdown in of any of these units will culminate in inevitable harm to machinery.
Considering the toll on hydraulic seals in hydraulic applications, avoiding hydraulic seal damage becomes a critical matter of selecting the right seal for the right application.
Found in applications ranging from off-highway vehicles, machine tools, trucks and injection molding machines, hydraulic seals need to fit the application and environment for their intended uses.
Here are considerations for making such a determination and, consequently, avoiding hydraulic seal damage.
Different pressure demands will govern different applications. In order to select the right seal, the pressure limit of the application needs to be evident. When considering the pressure needs of the machinery, the first factor to consider is the megapascal (MPa) pressure unit necessary.
Without reliable, quality parts, the cylinder will only be capable of inferior performance, not to mention a shorter service life. That is why hardware is critical to the function of hydraulic systems. A good rule of thumb in selecting a seal is to remember that the better the hardware, the better the seal.
Component design will significantly affect the selection of seals. Governing those design decisions are considerations such as necessary speed, efficiency and compliance with standards and reliability. Knowledge of the installation dimensions also informs the seal selection process.
Some questions to ask when making a seal selection with the goal of avoiding future seal damage:
- Can the seals combat contamination?
- Are the seals low-friction?
- Can the seals be assembled with ease?
- Will the seals be easy to maintain?
- How will the seals perform against temperature extremes and media?
- Are the seals compliant with industry standards?
Seals-Shop, with its variety of seals made from high-quality materials such as Zurcon® or Turcon®, can help make the right seal selection. Seals-Shop offers a variety of hydraulic seals that are durable and that rely on only a minimal amount of maintenance. Additionally, because the seals are compact, they can be installed with ease.
Let Seals-Shop help find the ideal seal for any application using their convenient Product Finder. Need installation help? Each Seals-Shop product description includes an easy-to-follow diagram detailing the installation steps for each specific seal — just another way that Seals-Shop helps to avoid costly seal damage.
Seals-Shop, the official online shop of Trelleborg Sealing Solutions, offers a wide range of hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical sealing products for a variety of applications. For more information, visit Seals-Shop.com.
Company information Seals-Shop GmbH
Our customers come from all corners of the industry, including service and maintenance/repair, manufacturing and wholesale distribution. Our products are specifically intended to suit a variety of hydraulic applications, from light-duty linear hydraulic to heavy-duty rotary seals and static applications.
Our broad and diversified product range sets us apart from the rest, notably our extensive selection of FKM seals. On top of everything, all products are immediately available from stock (unless otherwise stated).
|Handelsregister||HRB 757821 Stuttgart|
|Legal form||Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung|
|Type of company||Head Office|
|Fax||+49 711 78648879|
Turcon® is a perfluoroelastomer (FFKM) compound from Trelleborg Sealing Solutions which is matched to the needs of critical sealing environments, combining the media resistance of a PTFE with the elasticity of an elastomer.
Turcite® is dimensionally stable and wear resistant with excellent performance in dry and boundary lubrication.
The engineered plastic based sealing material Zurcon® provides outstanding wear resistance combined with good friction properties, making it suitable for reciprocating, slow rotating and oscillating applications.
HiMod®, a high modulus thermoplastic is suitable for custom molded components, reinforcing rings and Back-up Rings.
The composite bearing material Orkot® consists of technical fabrics impregnated with thermosetting resins and evenly dispersed solid lubricants gives unrivalled performance in dry running conditions.
Key figures Seals-Shop GmbH
Executives Seals-Shop GmbH
Herr Florent Guillomeau
CEO - Chief Executive Officer
Herr Jürgen Bosch
CEO - Chief Executive Officer (Geschäftsführung)
Activities Seals-Shop GmbH
- Service provider
- Moulded parts, rubber
Rings and washers, rubber
- Diaphragms, rubber
- Packing rings, rubber
- O-rings, rubber
- Rings, rubber, for screw stoppers
- Rings, rubber cord, sealing
- Rings, cellular/foam rubber, sealing
- Rings, rubber, conical, sealing
- Rings, rubber, hexagonal, sealing
- Rings, rubber, flat, sealing
- Rings, rubber, square section, sealing
- Bushes, rubber
- Seals, rubber
- Seals, rubber, for bottles and jars
- Seals, rubber, dam and lock gate
- Rings, rubber, to customer specification
- Tapes and straps, plastic
Jointings, packings and gaskets, plastic
- Gaskets, ethylene-propylene-diene monomer (EPDM)
- Gaskets, polyethylene (PE)
- Gaskets, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)
- Gaskets, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) filled
- Gaskets, polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
- Gaskets, plastic, for glazing and draught-proofing
- Packing rings, plastic
- Packing rings, vee type, plastic
- Packings, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)
- Oil seals, plastic or synthetic rubber
- O-rings, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)
- Seals, filled polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)
- Jointing materials, plastic
- Plastic products, industrial use
- Plastic products for the mechanical engineering industry
- Plastic products for the electrical and electronics industries
- Seals and gaskets, metal
- Packings, metal
- Internal combustion engine components NES
Other classifications (for some countries)
NACE Rev.2 (EU 2008) :
Manufacture of other rubber products (2219)
ISIC 4 (WORLD) :
Manufacture of other rubber products (2219)